Before coming out to run Autocross – please make sure you have reviewed this checklist (Also available here as a PDF):
CORNER STATION CHECKLIST
Review this list with all corner workers prior to the start of runs. If you have been assigned
as Corner Captain (radio/flag) and have never done it before please speak to the safety
1. SAFETY FIRST –NEVER TURN YOU BACK ON A CAR.
2. CAMERAS, CELL PHONES PAGERS AND OTHER DISTRACTIONS ARE PROHIBITED AT
THE WORK STATIONS.
3. THE RADIO/FLAG PERSON SHOULD ALWAYS BE LOOKING OUT FOR THEIR CORNER
WORKERS. THROW THE RED FLAG IF THEY ARE IN ANY DANGER.
4. When resetting a cone RUN, don’t walk-while keeping track of where the cars are.
5. CORNER CAPTAIN should hold the radio and flag. Hold the flag so that it cannot be mistaken for
a warning but in a manner so it can quickly be used when needed. If a red flag is called, all
red flags on the course go out. Call all red flags on the radio. (RED FLAG, RED FLAG!)
6. If you notice what you think is an unsafe condition report it to the safety person.
Red flag if needed.
7. Watch out for the workers at your station and others all day.
8. Don’t start running to reset a cone until the car has safely passed and you know where the next
9. Photographers are not allowed on the course without approval and a spotter.
10. Designated spectator locations are behind the barriers and the top of the grassy knoll at the
11. No sitting or leaning at worker stations while cars are on the course.
12. Watch for intruders entering the course area and be sure that spectators are at least 75 feet
away from the active course.
13. Talk with adjacent corners and determine which cones each will cover.
14. Spread out the corner workers as needed to effectively cover the course.
15. RADIO USAGE- Hold the button for a second then talk with the radio about 8 inches from your
mouth. Do not hold the button if you are not talking.
16.When calling in a penalty-1. Call station, 2. Car number 3. Penalty For example;
“Station 1, Car 51, 1 gate and 1 cone.”
17. If a cone is down or out of it’s box it is a penalty–hold it over your head before replacing it. If it
has moved and is still in or touching the box give the no penalty sign which is a baseball “safe”
signal. Moved “pointer” cones are not penalties.
18. Watch the cones as the back of the car passes them as they may hit or move them.