2021 Crater Lake Multi-Day Tour
September 16 - September 19
NOTE: The Lodge at Crater Lake is full for Saturday night. There are still cabins at the Mazama Village. This is 7.3 miles south from the lodge – about a 15 minute drive. Someone pre-registered with a cabin a Diamond Lake – so that is another option.
Eric Lewis and Peg Ryan are very excited to announce the 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour! The tour dates are Thursday, September 16 through Sunday September 19, 2021.
Food, gas, lodging and any other expenses that you incur during the tour are the responsibility of the participant. The 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour registration fee is $150 per vehicle. The fee will be collected once you have completed the pre-registration steps below. The fee is non-refundable unless the tour gets cancelled.
2021 Crater Lake Tour Schedule:
Thursday, 9/16/2021 – Drive to Hood River on your own. Plan on spending the day with some fun Hood River activities (TBA) or just drive up in the evening to start the Tour the next morning at 9:00am.
Friday, 9/17/2021 – Hood River to Sisters via Dufur, Grass Valley, Condon, Fossil & Antelope. This is a beautiful 290+ mile drive through the northern part of Central Oregon. There is one (1) rest stop in the morning and two (2) in the afternoon. Bring a picnic lunch to be enjoyed at the beautiful Cottonwood Canyon State Park. Due to the small parking areas at the stops, we will be driving in groups of twelve (12) cars separated by 30 minutes.
Saturday, 9/18/2021 – Sisters to Crater Lake via McKenzie Bridge, Oakridge, Crescent and Chemult. This drive is a beautiful 210+ mile drive through the forests of the Willamette National Forest. There is one (1) rest stop scheduled in the morning near McKenzie Bridge, OR and one (1) in the afternoon near Crescent, OR. Lunch will be available for takeout from the Matzatlan Mexican Restaurant in Oakridge (or bring your own picnic). We will stop at Hills Creek Lake for a picnic lunch. After lunch we will drive the final leg to Crater Lake Lodge.
Sunday, 9/19/2021 – The drive home is not an organized drive. It is approximately 300 miles to drive back to the Portland area, so plan accordingly. Either OR-58 to I-5 or OR-138 to I-5 will get you home. They both wander through the beautiful Umpqua and Willamette National Forests. We recommend OR-138 for a grand finale of your tour as it is a wonderful drive with lots of fun asphalt.
If you decide to stay an extra night at Crater Lake Lodge, you will be able to spend Sunday enjoying activities at Crater Lake. There are plenty of hikes and views (weather permitting, of course) around the lake. You may be able to drive the 33 mile Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway around Crater Lake Rim. It is a beautiful drive with many views of Crater Lake.
Lodging – We have listed the recommended lodging links below in the Pre-Registration Steps. All participants must make their own lodging reservations. Lodging accommodations at Hood River and Sisters both have ORPCA special discount pricing that will be available until a future cutoff date. All lodging have a cancellation policy that is very generous. Please make sure that you know the last cancellation date for a full refund when you register. (We aren’t planning on cancelling the tour, but you never know…)
- Hood River – To be announced later.
- Sisters – Best Western Ponderosa Lodge, 500 Highway 20 W, Sisters, OR 97759
- Crater Lake – Crater Lake Lodge, Crater Lake National Park, 570 Rim Village Dr, Crater Lake, OR 97604 or other lodging nearby.
All registered participants will be sent an email with an update on meals the week before the tour. Here is the current status of the meals:
- Breakfasts – Please plan for your own breakfast. You can shop in Hood River and/or Sisters the night before. The Ponderosa Lodge in Sisters does serve a free breakfast.
- Lunch – Friday is a bring your own picnic. Saturday is Matzatlan Mexican takeout or bring your own.
- Dinner – Hood River and Sisters have many good restaurants for Thursday and Friday nights. Crater Lake Lodge has one (1) restaurant with limited seating for Saturday evening. You might want to consider brining your own dinner for Saturday night.
Registration – The 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour Registration is a multi-step process. Please follow the steps below to get started.
- Make your registration for the Crater Lake Lodge (may be full) or the Cabins at Mazama Village: Crater Lake Lodge: Crater Lake Lodge link. For the Mazama Village Cabins go to: Cabins at Mazama Village
- Make your registration at the Best Western Ponderosa Lodge. This is a direct link for our group rates: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotels-in-sisters/best-western-ponderosa-lodge/propertyCode.38103.html
- Email Peg Ryan (Peg@PorscheFun.com) to let her know you have completed steps 1 & 2.
Final steps for those completing pre-registration:
- You will receive an email regarding Hood River lodging. You are responsible for making these reservations.
- You will receive an email when the registration ticket is ready. You are responsible to register and pay for the tour. There will also be links for the required paperwork for the tour.
There will be updates provided to registered attendees as we get closer to the dates.
Member/Vehicle Eligibility – The 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour is open to any ORPCA member in good standing driving any Porsche model vehicle. (Please note: the Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway around the Crater Lake rim, which is NOT part of the official 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour, may have road sections that require a high ground clearance vehicle such as a Cayenne or Macan. It really depends on how much road damage has occurred during the previous winters. We will let you know the status of the “Rim Drive”, the week before the tour.)
We hope you decide to join us on the 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour. If you have questions, please feel free to email either Eric Lewis at email@example.com or Peg Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Event Policies Regarding Photography and Recordings: Click Here