- This event has passed.
2021 Crater Lake Multi-Day Tour: FULL
September 16, 2021 - September 19, 2021$150.00
The 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour is scheduled for Thursday, September 16 through Sunday September 19, 2021.
Food, gas, lodging and any other expenses that you incur during the tour are the responsibility of the participant. The 2021 ORPCA Crater Lake Tour registration fee is $150 per vehicle.
2021 Crater Lake Tour Schedule:
Thursday, 9/16/2021 – Drive to Hood River on your own. Plan on spending the day with some fun Hood River activities or just drive up in the evening to start the Tour the next morning.
Friday, 9/17/2021 – Hood River to Sisters via Dufur, Grass Valley, Condon, Fossil & Antelope. This is a beautiful 290+ mile drive through the northern part of Central Oregon. There is one (1) rest stop in the morning and two (2) in the afternoon. Bring a picnic lunch to be enjoyed at the beautiful Cottonwood Canyon State Park. Due to the small parking areas at the stops, we will be driving in 2 groups with a maximum of twelve (12) cars separated by 30 minutes.
Saturday, 9/18/2021 – Sisters to Crater Lake via McKenzie Bridge, Oakridge, Crescent and Chemult. This drive is a beautiful 210+ mile drive through the forests of the Willamette National Forest. There is one (1) rest stop scheduled in the morning near McKenzie Bridge, OR and one (1) in the afternoon near Crescent, OR. Lunch will be available for takeout from the Matzatlan Mexican Restaurant in Oakridge (or bring your own picnic). We will stop at Hills Creek Lake for a picnic lunch. After lunch we will drive the final leg to Crater Lake Lodge.
Sunday, 9/19/2021 – The drive home is not an organized drive. It is approximately 300 miles to drive back to the Portland area, so plan accordingly. Either OR-58 to I-5 or OR-138 to I-5 will get you home. They both wander through the beautiful Umpqua and Willamette National Forests. We recommend OR-138 for a grand finale of your tour as it is a wonderful drive with lots of fun asphalt.
If you decide to stay an extra night at Crater Lake Lodge, you will be able to spend Sunday enjoying activities at Crater Lake. There are plenty of hikes and views (weather permitting, of course) around the lake. You may be able to drive the 33 mile Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway around Crater Lake Rim. It is a beautiful drive with many views of Crater Lake.
Lodging: All participants have their own lodging reservations. All the lodging options have cancellation policies that are very generous. Please make sure that you know the last cancellation date for a full refund when you register. (We aren’t planning on cancelling the tour, but you never know…)
- Hood River – Columbia Gorge Hotel, 4000 Westcliff Drive, Hood River, OR 97031
- Sisters – Best Western Ponderosa Lodge, 500 Highway 20 W, Sisters, OR 97759
- Crater Lake – Crater Lake Lodge, Crater Lake National Park, 570 Rim Village Dr, Crater Lake, OR 97604 or other lodging nearby.
All registered participants will be sent an email with an update on meals the week before the tour. Here is the current status of the meals:
- Breakfast – The Columbia Gorge Hotel offers breakfast in Simon’s Cliffhouse starting at 7:30am (including takeout). The Ponderosa Lodge in Sisters serves a free breakfast. Crater Lake Lodge breakfast dining is on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you would like to get your own breakfast, you can grocery shop in Hood River and/or Sisters the night before.
- Lunch – Friday is a bring your own picnic. Make sure you get your Friday picnic lunch on Thursday – there are mini-refrigerators in the rooms at the Columbia Gorge Hotel. Saturday is Matzatlan Mexican takeout or bring your own.
- Dinner – Dinner is on your own. Hood River and Sisters have many good restaurants for Thursday and Friday nights. Crater Lake Lodge has a restaurant with limited seating for Saturday evening. Hotel guests can make dinner reservations upon arrival. You could consider brining your own dinner for Saturday night.
Currently we have 2 groups of 11 cars. Both Groups are FULL. We will need a sweep for this group. If you are interested in this, please sign up during the registration process.
- Group 1 check in starts at 8:00 am, safety meeting at 8:15 am – departure at 8:30 am.
- Group 2 check in at 8:30 am, safety meeting at 8:45 am – departure at 9:00 am.
Requirements to register and attend this event – PLEASE READ:
- Registration is by car. Each driver must register their car. If you have a navigator you will register that person at the same time. If you don’t have a navigator, just mark the navigator questions as N/A. Please see tickets at the bottom of this page.
- Cost is $150.00/car. This fee covers the event expenses.
- Printed Route Directions – A printable PDF file containing the Printed Route Directions will be emailed to every registrant by the Tuesday (9/14/2021) before the start. Please print a copy for your navigation and bring it with you. If you don’t receive it by 5pm on 9/14/2021, please check your SPAM folder. Please do not share this information with anyone else.
- Currently, if you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, face coverings and social distancing are not required during this event. If you have not been vaccinated, please continue to use a mask and social distancing.
Questions: Please contact Peg at [email protected]
Event Policies Regarding Photography and Recordings: Click Here