SUV Group Drive to Windy Ridge on Mount St. Helens
Join us for a beautiful drive through the Mt St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. There will be restrooms available at the start in Troutdale. This is a casual drive with your Cayenne or Macan. Other marque SUVs are welcome on the drive. Your vehicle MUST have high ground clearance! There are some non-paved areas and many of the paved areas have very rough surfaces with drop outs. The drive is well worth the effort, because there are many places to stop and enjoy the beautiful rivers, forests and weather permitting, views of mountains. If the sky is clear, Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Mt Adams and Mt Hood are all possible views, so bring your camera. Also bring a picnic lunch to enjoy with a view of Mt St Helens, Spirit Lake and the 1980 devastation blast area. There is an optional hike to the top of Windy Ridge with views of the mountains from Mt Rainier to Mt Hood on a clear day. There is a reason that Windy Ridge is named Windy Ridge, so bring some extra layers to keep yourself comfortable while you enjoy the view.
The ORPCA SUV Group completed this drive in 2019. Check out the pictures here: Windy Ridge SUV Drive.
Distance: Approximately 120 miles on tour route. It is approximately 90 miles back to Portland.
There will be one group with a maximum of twelve (12) SUV’s or higher clearance vehicles. Please plan to arrive by 8:00am. The mandatory safety meeting will be at 8:15am with an 8:30am start time. All participants, driver and navigator (if you have one), must register for this event starting on August 4. Registration will close at 5:00 pm on Wednesday, August 25 – No minors please.
A volunteer is needed to sweep during the drive. If you are interested please sign up during the registration process.
- The “Release and Waiver of Liability” will be available to sign at the start of the drive.
- Registration is by car. Each driver must register their car. If you have a navigator you will register that person at the same time. If you don’t have a navigator, just mark the navigator questions as NA. Please see registration at the bottom of this page.
- Attendance is limited to 12 cars.
- Cost is $10.00/car to cover the event expenses.
- The start location and a printable PDF file of Printed Route Directions and Scenic Navigation App Access will be provided a day before the event to all registrants. Please do not share this information with anyone else.
- Face coverings and social distancing are required during this event due to the Oregon mandate for masks outdoors.
Questions: Please contact Tour Chair
Event Policies Regarding Photography and Recordings: Click Here