Upcoming ORPCA Board Meetings
The Beginnings: PCA Oregon Region Newsletter 1960
Porsche has no equal, and since 1960, the Oregon Region Porsche Club of America has catered to the particular needs and interests of the Porsche owner. Our main vision is to heighten the Porsche owning and driving experiences, which we accomplish by striving for these objectives:
- To promote the highest standards of courtesy and safety on the roads
- To enjoy and share good will and fellowship engendered by owning a Porsche
- To maintain the highest standards of operation and performance of the marque
- To gather for social events, drives and shows with other Porsche enthusiasts who share our passion for the marque
- To establish mutually beneficial relationships with the local Porsche dealers and other quality automotive service sources
- To establish a presence in the local car community by attending events, such as Cars & Coffee, Corrals, local races at PIR and Car Shows
- To exchange ideas with other regional Porsche Clubs throughout the USA
- To establish mutually cooperative relationships with other sports car clubs
Our club is dedicated to serving its members.
- We will work to create fun and exciting activities for our members to enjoy.
- We will strive to negotiate favorable membership discounts with local area businesses whenever possible.
- We will encourage our members to set a positive example in the local car community.
- We publish a monthly online Club Magazine, the “Anzeiger” (11 times per year).
- We update our members weekly via club email on club activities and club news.
Our club offers a wide range of activities for our members:
- Tech Clinics
- Local Mechanics and Shops
- Spring Clean
- Garage/Collection Tours
- Arrive & Drives
- Saturdays Morning Drives
- Casual Midweek Drives
- Northwest Passage (3-5 days)
- Cabin Fever Tour (3 days)
- Escape to the Coast (2 days)
- Crater Lake (3 days)
- Social Activities
- Monthly Socials and Dinners
- Quarterly Mixers
- Summer Picnic
- Holiday Party
- AutoCross at PIR
- Corral Opportunities
- Portland Auto Show
- Rose Cup
- PIR Vintage Races
- German Palooza
- Indy Car
- Taste of Motorsports
HISTORY OF THE PORSCHE CLUB OF AMERICA AND OF THE OREGON REGION PCA
Bill Scholar’s first Porsche was a 1953 356 Coupe. Partly out of frustration at having no organization to turn to with questions about the car, he invited a small group or Porsche owners to his home on February 5, 1955. They made plans to get together from time to time throughout the remainder of that year to do what Porsche pushers do best- talk about, look at, work on, drive, etc.- their cars. They finally decided to form a club in September, 1955, and the first official meeting of the Porsche Club of America was held at Blackie’s Grill in Alexandria, Virginia. Bill Scholar was elected as its first President by the 12 individuals in attendance. The original 12 became 64, and also became the Potomac Region. As membership grew, new regions began forming all across the United States. The annual PCA meetings, “known as a Parade”, are hosted by a different region each year. The Oregon Region hosted Parades in 1980 and 1995 and 2006.
The Oregon Region Porsche Club of America (ORPCA) was born as a result of splitting off from what was then known as the Washington Region (now known as the Pacific Northwest Region). On July 24, 1960, the Oregon Region’s first meeting was held at the Lake Grove home of Mr. and Mrs. Dolph Trachi. There were 32 members. The first organized event was a Concours d’Elegance held on September 25, 1960. September also marked the first appearance of the Anzeiger, the Region’s newsletter.
The Oregon Region celebrated its 50th Anniversary in September 2010. As of end of 2018 we have over 1000 members and a wide variety of 80+ events per year designed to appeal to a very diverse membership. One thing has remained constant, “enthusiasm for the marque and pride in the enthusiasts themselves”.
PCA Zone 6 Regional Clubs
ORPCA Past Presidents
Steve Miller: Jan 2020 – Present
Larry Hannan: June 2017 – Jan 2020
Eric Underwood: Jan 2018 – May 2018
Joe McQueen: 2015 – 2017
Eric Freedle: 2013 – 2014
Jim North: 2011 – 2012
Kathleen Ellis: 2009 – 2010
Chuck West: 2007 – 2008
Jeff Gretz: 2005 -2006
Don Stroum: 2004
Don Clinkinbeard: 2002 – 2003
Carol Beutz: 2000 – 2001
John Draneas: 1998 – 1999
Jeff Butts: 1997
Sandra Gotthardt: 1996
Dave Palmer: 1995
Mark Fisher: 1994
Michael Ashe: 1993
Mark Fisher: 1994
Dennis Brookshire: 1991 – 1992
Douglas Muzatko: 1989 – 1990
Chuck Hervey: 1987 – 1988
Tracee Harsch: 1986
R Paul Aragon: 1985
Ric Tiplady: 1983 – 1984
Chuck Hervey: 1983
Steve Harsch: 1982
Dan Dickson: 1981
Bill Shores: 1980
Bob Caspell: 1979
Paul Vincent: 1978
Steve George: 1977
Dennis Puetz: 1976
Dennis Phelan: 1975
Fred Flegel: 1974
Tom Gleim: 1973
Fred Bowman: 1971 – 1972
Ken Luthe: 1970
Gary Ragsdale: 1969
Ken Charters: 1967 – 1968
Don Kemmerich: 1963 – 1966
Gary Long: 1963
Arnie and J.O. Anderson: 1961 – 1962
Pete McGill: 1961
Dick Steiff: 1960
BYLAWS – PORSCHE CLUB OF AMERICA, OREGON REGION
2018 Bylaws of the Oregon Region of the Porsche Club of America
In 2018, a committee consisting of President, Larry Hannan, Past President, Kathleen Ellis and Secretary, Peg Ryan reviewed the current document and provided a number of updates:
- Cleaned up formatting issues, made section consistently formatted between sections, fixed spelling errors.
- Classes of members were updated to match the PCA membership classes. President Emeritus class was added.
- At-Large members were renamed to Board Members At-Large to better reflect their role.
- Revised Secretary duties to reflect actual process of recoding of votes in Board Meetings.
- Added Secretary to the list of elected Officers and added required experience.
- Changed the date of communication of the notice of nominations of Board openings to August.
- Voting members definition updated.
This document was finalized and communicated to members in November, 2018 and finalized on December 5, 2018.