Before coming out to Autocross – please make sure you have reviewed this guide. Also here as a PDF file: Corner Workers Guide v3
General Rules – Safety First!
- Safety is PRIMARY! Never turn your back on the course or a car. Always be alert. There may be two cars on course at the same time.
- Prohibited at the corner stations: Cameras, Cell phones, and other similar distractions – if your cell phone is in your pocket – turn it OFF. If you are observed holding a cell phone on the course, you may be asked to leave. The safety of everyone on the course demands your full attention.
- Each station will have at least two workers: A Cone-Setter and a Radio Person. The Radio Person needs to be the more experienced person and controls the radio and the red flag.
- Talk with adjacent corners and determine which cones or areas each of you will cover.
- When more than one Cone-Setter is assigned to a corner, spread them out to effectively cover the area you have agreed to.
- Do not sit down, wander from your post, engage in conversation, or get distracted in any way from the action on the course.
- Photographers are not allowed on the course without approval and a spotter. If you see someone taking pictures near the course who you think is not approved (no spotter) please ask them to go to the trailer immediately.
- Watch for intruders (pedestrians or non-participant vehicles) entering the course area. Flag them away and/or use the radio to call attention (and the red flag if needed).
- Watch the cones as the car approaches and as the back of the car passes as it may hit or move the cones at either of these points.
- RUN, DON’T WALK when resetting a toppled or moved cone. Also keep track of all cars currently on the course.
- Do not put yourself in any danger; do not run for a cone if the 2nd car is fast approaching, or if you cannot safely correct it. The driver has the option of stopping before reaching the downed cone and getting a rerun or going through it and accepting the run as is.
- When resetting cones, communicate to the Radio Person any cones which are penalties.
Radio Person Instructions
- RADIO USAGE – Hold the button for a second then talk with the radio about 8 inches from your mouth. Do not hold the button if you are not talking.
- Hold the flag so that it cannot be mistaken for a warning but in a manner that it can quickly be raised and waved when needed.
- Always be looking out for the corner workers at your station. Wave the red flag and radio “Red flag” if any worker is in danger.
- Wave the Red Flag vigorously if a safety issue occurs in your area and call “Red Flag” on the radio. If you hear “Red Flag” on the radio, raise and wave your “Red Flag” immediately.
- You are responsible to notify the Timer if a penalty has been incurred in your area.
- When calling in a penalty – Call in with your Corner #, the Car number and then the Penalty. For example: “Corner 1, Car 51, DNF (missed a gate)” or “Corner 2, Car 64, 2 cones”.
- If a car goes “off course” by missing a gate, the car gets a “DNF” penalty, or “Did Not Finish” and no time is recorded.
- If a cone is down or if it is moved out of the marked area/box for the cone, it is a Cone penalty.